Sangria.. ahh.. The perfectly quintessential summer drink that’s reminiscent of summer days full of sunscreen, sandy beaches, and patios.
While I don’t think alcohol is a health food, I’ve found a way to make delicious strawberry infused sangria that is a little bit less unhealthy.. No added sugar, plus some kombucha to add depth of flavour.. and a secret ingredient… Cinnamon!
Cinnamon brings a warm spiciness that ties all the flavours together, and brings along some beneficial health properties too. It’s got antioxidants such as polyphenols, and can help to lower inflammation. It can also help to lower blood sugar and improve insulin sensitivity. Since we don’t want loads of sugar rushing around our blood stream, this is a very good thing!
- 1/2 cup dry red wine
- Squeeze of 1/4 lime
- 1 strawberry, chopped
- 1 drop stevia (I prefer Now Foods)
- 1/4 cup kombucha (I used a strong homemade ginger one)
- Dash of Ceylon cinnamon
- Add a few ice cubes to a glass
- Add in wine, squeeze of lime (then add the rind in there), strawberry, and stevia. Stir well then top with kombucha, and gently stir again.
- Top with a dash of Ceylon cinnamon
- Enjoy right away, or allow flavours to meld in the fridge overnight.